amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Haven

Haven  - Kristi Cook Violet is a champion fencer and a very smart girl, maybe a bit shy and skittish but that comes from avoiding people most of her life. She has just arrived at Winterhaven (her new school) and is very excited at having an opportunity for a new beginning. A place where no one knows she is a freak. She is in for a shocking surprise when she finds out that she is in a school for ‘freaks’ like herself! Young people with special psychic abilities like telekinesis, clairsentience, astral projection, and clairvoyance like Violet. But is that all there is to the students of Winterhaven? Is clairvoyance all the powers Violet has?Add in to the mix the mysterious Aidan Gray, who is the most gorgeous guy in school and seems to have a weird connection to Violet. I always fall for the main love interest, but Aidan didn’t quite do it for me. I think that his connection to Violet could have been worked a little more. Maybe with more sweet moments between them then it would’ve grabbed my heart, twisting it into knots like other pairings do. This pairing just fell short for me. Also, I didn’t want to make this comparison but I just couldn’t get the image of Stefan Salvatore with a chemistry set and lab coat out of my head. You’ll get why when you read it. So, anyways, having Violet be a clairvoyant kind of sucked for the ending, since the final battle you already know what it’s going to be about half way through the book. Then the rest is just them preparing for battle, which kind of dragged a bit. And when you finally get to it, the outcome is no surprise either. Overall I found the story quite entertaining and cute. Even if I didn’t completely fall in love with it, I still couldn’t put it down.