amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy)

Dark Frost  - Jennifer Estep Gwen Frost is Nike's Champion, and after many encounters with the Reapers who want to bring about the second Chaos War, she still wasn't prepared for what happened that winter break. Reapers raided the museum in search for the Helheim Dagger, hurting and killing many of Mytho's students in the process. If she was helpless to stop such destruction, then how is she supposed to stop Loki, god of Chaos? Now Gwen is on the hunt for the Helheim Dagger that her mother hid. Will she be able to find it before the Reapers do? I'm very excited to report that Dark Frost isn't a total recap session like Kiss of Frost. It still repeats some stuff a couple of times, like Loki's punishment, but the recaps were short and to the point. Estep throws us right into the action, and after that is just attack after attack. There are a lot of things going on in this book, and the Reaper attacks are just the beginning. There are mythological pets running around, and Gwen's and her friend's powers are evolving. There were a couple of surprises too, but most importantly is that we finally learn Logan's dark secret! Gwen has grown incredibly as a warrior and Gypsy with psychometric magic. She's able to hold her own during many of the attacks, and she finds new ways to use her magic, ways that she wishes she'd never discovered at all. But when it comes to Logan Quinn and love, she's still naïve expecting declarations of love when they haven't even dated or spent more than an hour together. You know, other than weapon training. Gwen also goes on about how she never intended for Savannah (Logan's ex) to get hurt, something I thought was very silly. Like seriously, what did you think was going to happen? But Gwen is still that stubborn, never-give-up kind of girl that I admired since book one. I was pretty sure as to who the villain was, and I didn't get it wrong, but Ms. Estep managed to throw me off the scent for some chapters there. And me knowing this still didn't take away from the horror that is unleashed in those last chapters. Serious, serious action and drama going on there that kept me turning pages as fast as I could! Overall a definite success in this series. These books just keep getting better and better. I can't wait to read what she brings in with Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy 4). *I received this book via Netgalley from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*