amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)

Soulless - Gail Carriger, Gail Carriger Alexia cannot catch a break, not even when she is pregnant! Of course if she did we wouldn’t have another thrilling continuation to The Parasol Protectorate series. Making deals with the vampires to save her infant-inconvenience is the least of Alexia’s problems. When a ghost appears and gives a cryptic message about an assassination plot against the Queen, Alexia has no option but to waddle around London searching for clues.Miss Carriger’s comical use of “proper” vocabulary is what distinguishes her writing. She makes full use of it to describe Alexia’s large state of pregnancy, the wolf pack’s quick reactions to producing food at all times less they rouse the wrath of their Alpha female, and, as always, Lord Akeldama’s propensity for embellished pet names.Though the story is develops at a clear steady pace, at the beginning I kept wishing for more hedgehog zombie action. The clue finding, the shocking mystery solving, and the final chase through the streets of London made up for it. The conclusion was unexpected and I can’t wait for Timeless!