amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy)

Touch of Frost - Jennifer Estep Her name is Gwen Frost and she is a Gypsy with psychometric magic. What that means is that when Gwen touches things she feels/sees the left over psychic traces/emotions left by other people. Pretty cool, yes? Yeah, until she touches a classmates hair brush and discovers a disturbing secret.Already in a bad stated after uncovering a classmate’s dark secret, Gwen plunges into depression after her mom dies in a car accident. To top it all, her grandmother soon informs her that she will be attending a new school in the fall. The school is Mythos Academy, and it’s a school for gifted kids. And not just any kids, but Amazons, Valkyries, Romans, Vikings, Spartans, Persians, Trojans, Celts, Samurais, and Ninjas! We only meet a few of these in the first book, but hopefully more will appear in the next books. Touch of Frost begins with Gwen already in Mythos Academy. Feeling like an outsider, she stays away from everyone. Then a girl is murdered in the library during Gwen’s work shift, and The Bowl of Tears, an ancient artifact with the power to unleash the god of Chaos into the world, has been stolen! Now Gwen has taken it upon herself to use her powers for good and find out about the truth about the murder. Somewhere along the line Gwen will realize that the myths that her mother told when she was a kid might be more than just stories. From the beginning I was drawn in by the whole idea of Gypsies and their different powers. I liked how they’re described as warriors but of a different kind. Gwen’s power is a bit tricky. On the one hand she can know everyone’s secret, something that makes her overtly curious and nosy at the beginning. I was glad that later on she realizes that maybe her powers are meant for something greater. On the other hand she can’t just let anyone touch her because she’ll then know things she might not want to know. I really didn’t get why it took her so long to accept that everyone was indeed magic and that the myths were real. I mean it’s all around her! I was both happy at the story for not focusing on the romance element, and disappointed because what little romance there was, was a mix hot and cold. The guy is Logan Quinn, the man-whore of Mythos, or so the rumors say. Personally I think there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to him. In this first book we don’t learn much about him, other than he is the bad-est, sexiest Spartan around. I can’t wait for the next book! Logan is giving Gwen sword lessons! :DOverall this was a great start to the series. I’ve said this before but I’m kind of obsessed by now with the YA Mythology books coming out. This one is definitely makes it to my top ten favorites. Anxiously waiting for Kiss of Frost, coming out this November!