amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Between the Sea and Sky

Between the Sea and Sky - Jaclyn Dolamore Esmerine goal had always been to become a siren and guard the ocean waters alongside her sister Dosinia. She is now a siren, but her sister has run away! It is now up to Esmerine to go to the mainland and brave the streets of Sormesen in search of her sister. Not knowing where to being her search, she looks first for Alander her childhood friend and one of the winged people. As they search for her sister memories and new feelings will surface. To stay together they will have to break the barriers that stand between them, between the sea and sky.A fun, quick read, in an originally captivating world. A really sweet story of two best friends who will learn that race and culture are no reason to turn their backs on love. Alander and Esmerine work so well together. He is this really bookish guy who loves to read philosophical and political pieces, and only Esmerine can bring out the fun and carefree side of him. I love how she challenges him on the belief that myths and fairy tales don’t teach important values. She’s really smart too and caring of her family and friends. When deeper feelings start to surface, they try to distance themselves, claiming they’re too different to ever have a life together. But that doesn’t matter. What matters is love.Between the Sea and Sky is all fluff, and love, and happy endings, but I still would’ve liked to see a bit more conflict as things developed. Sometimes things happened to easily, or were obtained without much trouble. Also, very original concept of the winged people, but I could hardly picture how their arm and fingers worked. Overall I thought it was a very nice read. One that left me feeling light and happy.*I received this book via Netgalley from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*