amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)

The Goddess Test - Aimee Carter Kate Winters moves to the town of Eden so that her mom can spend her last days living in her childhood home. Kate doesn’t particularly like this arrangement, but she would do anything for her mother, even agreeing to spend the autumn and winter time at Eden Manor with Henry. You see Henry is really Hades, god of the Underworld, and he has promised to keep her mother alive long enough for Kate to say goodbye. The bargain certainly has its perks, like every night she’ll get to spend time with her mom in some very vivid dreams. But not all is fun and games! As Kate will have to pass seven tests and if she passes she will become Henry’s bride and goddess of the Underworld. And all of this while someone is trying to kill her!This was like Beauty and The Beast, with a heck of a lot more security, rules and strict servants. The secondary characters were seriously annoying, and I had a big laugh at the end because of it. You’ll see why once you read it. I hated that they bossed her around and she doesn’t resist any of it. At times it became irritating to read about it because it was like she had no backbone, but later you find out there was a reason for all of it. Still I wish Kate had been more of a fighter. Anyways, I fell in love with the tortured soul that was Henry. Really! Being alone for so long after Persephone trampled all over his heart, then having to find his a new wife but finding them dead even before they could complete the tests. Horrible! I just wanted to give him a big hug and never let go. There really wasn’t a dull moment in the story. When Kate is not worrying about who might kill her, she is trying very hard to keep Henry in the friendly zone (and failing miserably), and working really hard to pass these unknown tests. Henry also tries very hard not to hope too much in case Kate dies, but he can’t help falling for her! There are some very nice surprises at the end, and the ending left me very excited for the next book in the series. Seriously! Go read the blurb at Goddess Interrupted.