amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Soul Screamers Volume One: My Soul to LoseMy Soul to TakeMy Soul to Save (Harlequin Teen) - Rachel Vincent Just when I think I’ve really read about all the paranormal creatures out there, here comes the Soul Screamers series and proves me totally wrong! The prequel had already drawn me in considerably, and this first book just grabbed me, sat me down, and hypnotized me. It is a thrilling story that takes place during the course of a week, yet so many things happen that you swear more time has gone by!It’s been some months since the events of My Soul to Lose. Kaylee has gone back to her living the normal life of a teenager. But when she is out clubbing with her best friend Emma the terrible urge to scream seizes her. Kaylee will try really hard not to cause a scene and get sent to the hospital again. Help comes from an unlikely sourse when Nash Hudson, the hottest guy in school, calms Kaylee down by just whispering in her ear. Just when she thinks she is losing her mind Nash reveals that her compulsion to scream around dying people comes from being a bean sidhe (banshee). Kaylee is both frightened of and frustrated with her newfound powers, but she’ll need to get over that if she plans to discover why girls are dropping dead for no reason. It will be up to Kaylee and Nash to discover who, and try to stop him from taking another victim. But for that they’ll need the help of a reaper (as in a grim reaper), and bean sidhes have no business talking with reapers.I really liked Kaylee. She is such a strong character, trying to deal with all of this convincing herself constantly that she is not crazy. Nash…Hmm I’m still not sure I totally love him, but he clearly cares about Kaylee a lot. He is the one who explains her heritage and calms her down during her wailing episodes. Then there is Tod. He is such a cutie! He really has the most awful job ever and still has managed to retain a carefree and fun personality (even if it’s just a façade). With all the things going on with Kaylee the surprises at the end really had me gasping in shock.