amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Delirium (Delirium (Quality))

Delirium - Lauren Oliver Amor deliria nervosa, most commonly known as Love, is the deadliest decease known. A procedure has been perfected to rid humans of the deliria, and Lena Haloway can’t wait to have her procedure done. But one fateful meeting will change her perception of the world, as Lena discovers that everything she believed in is wrong. The prose is like insanely good. The way things are described especially emotions, feelings, and the like tugged at something in my heart. This description of Love is one example: Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That’s what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side. Before and after—and during, a moment no bigger or longer than an edge. While I did enjoy the beautiful prose it sometimes dragged a little. Lena would talk—about her mom, about her decease, about the evaluations—for paragraphs unending. She spends more time talking about what she did, and what happened that there was little narrating of the present. I just wanted to get on with the story and the action but that never came. I found the premise of the story to be very interesting. I like the idea of love being a disease, and Oliver does a great job of convincing me with all the quotes of The Book of Shhh at the start of every chapter. The list of symptoms was a really nice touch:Phase One: preoccupation; difficulty focusing; dry mouth; perspiration, sweaty palms; fits of dizziness and disorientation; reduced mental awareness, racing thoughts, impaired reasoning skills. Phase Two: periods of euphoria, hysterical laughter and heightened energy; periods of despair, lethargy, changes in appetite, rapid weight loss or weight gain, fixation, loss of other interests; compromised reasoning skills, distortion of reality, disruption of sleep patterns, insomnia or constant fatigue; obsessive thoughts and actions, paranoia, insecurity.Phase Three (Critical): difficulty breathing, pain in the chest, throat, or stomach; difficulty swallowing; refusal to ear; complete breakdown of rational faculties; erratic behavior; violent thoughts and fantasies; hallucinations and delusions.Phase Four (Fatal): emotional of physical paralysis (partial or total); deathHowever, the rest of the dystopian idea didn’t really work for me. It’s supposed to be this super strict society yet Lena gets away with everything and not even in a clever way. The only thing she has going for her is that she lies like there’s no tomorrow, and it’s like in the movie The Invention of Lying where no one expects it so everyone believes the lies. Also, there are supposedly hundreds of Invalids (people without the procedure) who not only live happily in the Wilds but have infiltrated every government agency in the city. Really? What happened to the super tight security of the invincible and cruel government? Apparently they’re easily duped. Another thing that left me sorely disappointed was the romance. The story completely revolves around the concept of love and I was expecting a thrilling, swoon-worthy, heart wrenching, and above all believable romance. I didn’t find that. As Lena hasn’t experienced love before, the relationship she develops with Alex is one that felt superficial. She incessantly babbles about everything she feels for this amazing and gorgeous boy, but all the time I’m very conscious of the fact that this she doesn’t really know what she’s talking about. She doesn’t know the real meaning of love and sacrifice and dedication to another. Lena does get to some impressive conclusions, but again not believable. She doesn’t know about love, yet she suddenly sees the light and understands, and we move right along with more babble about love. The story finally ends with an action packed chapter that’s left in a cliffhanger. I’ve mentioned before how much I hate them, especially after the grueling experience that was reading this book.