amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (The Steampunk Chronicles)

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar - Kady Cross Finley Jayne and her friends are back with a new adventure, this time traveling all the way from London to New York to save their friend Jasper, who has been accused of murder. But Jasper wasn't taken by the law, he was taken by a man he stole from who now wants the young cowboy to collect the pieces of a mysterious—and no doubt evil—machine. Jasper has no option but to comply because the love of his past, Mei Xing, is being held captive. It'll only take one wrong move by Jasper for the clockwork collar to tighten around Mei's neck. Lucky for Jasper, Finley, Griffin, Emily, and Sam are there to help him clear his name, and save his beloved. Secrets, half-truths, and betrayal will keep everyone's emotions running high, especially for Griffin who believes he'll…er, they'll lose Finley to the life of crime her dark side seems to enjoy so much. An exciting return to the world of the Steampunk Chronicles, The Girl in the Clockwork Collar is page after page of action, romance, and adventure that set your heart racing! Finley is back as stubborn and as violent as ever. She's still struggling to find who she is, and is worried that when she does Griffin might not like her as much. These two have serious clashes of will and stubbornness that kept me either wanting to slap them both or lock them together in a room until they made up. Not to worry though, as there are many sweet moments in there too! This time, the third POV belongs to Jasper. I was very moved by his story, and how he transfroms into this whole new person when he's with Mei Xing. It all just gave depth to the character, and I loved him even more. But let's not forget the rest of the crew. Emily is as brilliant as ever. There are hints to her past, but nothing concrete yet. All I can say is that she is one scary lass when she wants to be. Sam seems to have come to terms with his robot side, and he's one scary hunk of man when he's protecting Em. There are also new characters like Wildcat, Kirby, and Tesla (Yes, that Tesla) who just added their own little spice to this incredible adventure. Once again, I was blow away by the steampunk inventions, such as Emily's automaton panther, her Icarus construct, and Mr. Tesla's inventions. If there was one thing I missed it was Jack Dandy. Okay, he's in England and everything but surely he could have sent more flowers!? Haha. After all the tension and fast paced action, the ending was sweet and wonderful. No cliffhanger there, but there's still the mystery of the shadow that kept attacking Griffin in the Aether so I'll be looking forward to that in the next book in the series. This is one fantastic sequel, and if you haven't started reading the Steampunk Chronicles yet I hope you do!