amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Divergent

Divergent - Veronica Roth After the horrible events during the Dauntless/Erudite attack on Abnegation, the factions are all in turmoil. Amity has chosen to stay neutral, and that is where our heroes take refuge, but war is coming and they have to take part if they hope to save the people. Tris Prior is having her own inner war dealing with grief and guilt over what's happened, and she needs to get her head in the game because a lot of people are counting on her. As they get ready for battle hints about the real reason Abnegation was targeted will come to light; secret information that only leaders of their government, like Marcus, know. Tris will have to embrace her Divergence, especially her affinity for Erudite, if she hopes for any chance of saving everyone. Veronica Roth has wow-ed me again with Insurgent. The plot, the characters, the surprises, the secrets, the emotions! There's so much I want to discuss about Insurgent, and I will try to do it without any major spoilers! However, if you haven't read the first book, be warned! there are Divergent spoilers. Let me start with our Dauntless heroine. Tris is shaken by what happened at the end of Divergent. Nightmares about the death of her parents, and what happened with Will keep her up at night. She keeps running the scene in her mind, thinking she could have done things differently. This was the hardest part for me, seeing Tris lose her Dauntlessness because she's blinded by grief. Lines like the one below made me want to slap her.There is a part of me that wants to be lost, that struggles to join my parents and Will so that I don't have to ache for them anymore. There are a lot of lines like this. I really thought Tris was stronger than that, than wanting to die. I understand the change, but what I hate about it is that she's giving up! She's giving up when there's still a reason to live, and his name is Tobias. He loves her enough to keep trying to get her to snap out of her dark mood, but Tris is too caught up with her inner demons. Tobias doesn't want her to give up, but he also won't put up with her reckless behavior forever, and I loved that he said so to her. "If you throw yourself into danger for no reason again, you will have become nothing more than a Dauntless adrenaline junkie looking for a hit, and I'm not going to help you do it." He spits the words out bitterly. "I love Tris the Divergent, who makes decisions apart from faction loyalty, who isn't some faction archetype. But the Tris who's trying as hard as she can to destroy herself…I can't love her." What made me sad though is that Tris continues on her downward spiral even after Tobias talks to her about it. Doesn't this mean that she doesn't love him enough to want to live? Doesn't she see that she's not alone? She has not lost everyone. Sigh. It takes a strong shock, an ultimate reality check to get her to see sense, but I thought that was a little too late for her to realize that she had someone who loved her. And that she should fight to stay alive because of him. Still, amid all the angst and depression Tris is still able to see things as they are, and take action. Four is still the hot, badass, sexy man we love. We get to know more about his past when it comes back to haunt him, and Tris realizes she might not know all of Tobias. I thought he trusted too easily, which I found completely out of character for him, but I liked that Tris called him on it every time. Their relationship is struggling but neither wants to give up the other. Though it makes for a very frustrating romance, it's also more realistic. I mean, relationships aren't supposed to be easy, and I liked that they try again and again to work through their problems. The plot wasn't all inner angst and relationship troubles. There was action, secrets that needed uncovering, a bit of back stabbing, and no end of surprises. We get to know more about some of the other factions, as our heroes travel back and forth between each base. There was a lot of death in this sequel, which is why one of my favorite parts is the paintball fight at Dauntless HQ. This is what Tris says:"I decide to keep the shirt to remind me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free." I think after all the death and chaos we too needed a reminder of the true nature of Dauntless, and a little fun time if only for a minute. The ending was a real shocker. I'm still going back to that last chapter and re-reading it, making sure I read that shit right. I so didn't see that one coming, though now that I think about it, there were some hints. As for Tris and Tobias, though they return to a 'happy note' I thought they still had issues to resolve. I already know there's more trouble coming their way. Not just for the factions, but for them personally and I can't wait to read it! All I have left to say is that the wait for the third book will be horrible. HORRIBLE.