amysbookden

Amy's Book Den

Glitch (Glitch - Trilogy)

Glitch - Heather Anastasiu In a world where humans exist controlled by the Link, a program that leaves them without emotion, glitching is a serious problem. Zoe glitches, and as far as she knows she’s the only one experiencing freedom from the Link. If she doesn’t learn to control her feelings when she’s disconnected someone might report her and she’ll be reprogrammed. But that’s not her biggest problem. Zoe has telekinetic powers, and if someone discovers that she’ll be deactivated! Then Zoe meets others like her, kids with incredible powers who are glitching too. This futuristic dystopia will keep your eyes glued to the page as Zoe and her friends struggle to escape the clutches of the Community before they’re discovered and deactivated.One of the things I love about dystopias is the use of technology, and the one used in Glitch blew me away. The most impressive were the bionic additions like a control panel on their forearms, the link port on the back of the neck, and the chip installed on their brains. The idea that humans could be infected with a paralyzing virus with a USB port is terrifying. Also the Link system used to control emotions, basically leaving the humans emotionless and indifferent. There’s no compassion, no care, nothing. I shuddered every time the humans acted like that. By contrast the characters were very much alive, interesting, and complex.Zoe captured my attention from page one. In those precious moments she glitches, she pays special attention to color because everything else in her world is so gray. This makes for very rich descriptions and an attention to detail that creates a wonderful prose. She also gets to know emotions; protectiveness towards her brother, concern for the people, love for Adrien. Even though her memories of their time are erased she still remembers those green-blue eyes. When Max comes into the picture, Adrien is so understanding that it just made me love him all the more.One of my biggest issues with these types of emotions themed dystopias, where emotions are suppressed or controlled for the good of human kind, and then our hero or heroine somehow begin experiencing emotions, is the naïve role they have to play. It’s necessary, of course, but it makes it very frustrating for me. I hated Max with all my heart, yet Zoe didn’t see anything wrong with what he was doing. And I couldn’t say Zoe was being stupid about it, because the fact is she has no experience dealing with that kind of stuff. So, yeah, frustrating.The last chapters had me literally biting my nails with all the twists and double twists being thrown in. I would’ve like for Zoe to have had more experience with her power before unleashing that awesomeness at the end. It just seemed convenient that one minute she didn’t know how to control it and the next she’s easily battling everyone and anyone who got in their path. Don’t get me wrong, it was all very kick ass and exciting, but not believable. I tell you now, even with the couple of things that irked me I devoured this ARC in 8 hours or so. I literally could NOT put it down. I had to know what happened to Zoe next, and how many other people with powers appeared, and how would they ever get out. Overall, I’m really excited with this new series and can’t wait to see what comes next!*I received this book via Netgalley from the publisher*